Thursday, June 2, 2011

To my son, Jackson, on his first birthday


Jackson, since your birth we’ve measured your growth.

We’ve watched you gain weight, grow taller and seen teeth bust through your gums.

We’ve listened to you make sounds, crawl and walk, laugh and smile ear to ear.

Your growth has been phenomenal.

What hasn’t been measured is the growth in your father.

There is no scale on which to place my heart and see how much love it’s gained; no ruler to measure my soul to see much happier it is; no method to calculate how much more gratified my spirit is.

Trust me, there is no measure for my heart, soul or spirit because the amounts could not be calculated. What you’ve added to my life, my son, is immeasurable.

One year ago, I thought I knew lots and lots of stuff. Turns out I didn’t know Jack. I needed you to show me.

I needed you to teach me a level of patience I never knew existed. I needed you to teach me to see the lessons in every action. I needed you to teach me how to find a new sense of joy in a song, laughter in a moment and to dance with renewed vigor.

Watching you dance and sing and play with a unique style and energy is worth little sleep and aching muscles. I pray you will always dance to your own rhythm.

Jackson, you’ve made me want to learn as much as I can so I can share the knowledge with you. You’ve made me want to earn as much as I can so I can give you the finest things in life. You’ve made me want to live a healthier lifestyle so I can be with you as long as possible.

I love you, my son. I love you in a way and with a depth that is reserved solely for one’s children. I want you to know that I love and cherish your mother, too. Watching her love you and raise you makes me love her even more.

Sometimes I sit and stare at you – mesmerized by your face, your perfect skin, your happiness. Everything is new to you at this stage and it is for me, too. It’s new for me to care for another human being and help direct your growth. It’s a challenge and a little overwhelming but, with your mom, we’re doing the best we can.

Even though you cannot speak and each of your actions is purely instinctual, I can tell a lot about who you are and who you might become.

I believe you’ll be fiercely independent, the way you are when we try to wipe your face or tell you not to play with something that might be harmful. You appear to have an independent streak that will provide you strength, courage and the ability to follow your heart.

You will fall when you try to walk too fast or take your eyes off the road, like you do when you let go of your walker. But you will arise, dust yourself off and continue on your journey. That is the sign of a person with a work ethic, a sense of duty and a curious mind.

Of this I am certain, you will smile often and laugh from the belly. I hope your joy of life that has been present since your earliest moments sustains you and endears you to others. What a precious gift a sense of humor is.

Your Grandma Bonnie said the other day that the reason you smile so much is because every time you look at your mommy and daddy we are smiling at you. I pray that’s true.

And I hope you feel that abiding and constant love each day of your life.

My son, the path to personal happiness – which is my sincerest and singular hope for you – is in front of you. You’ve been blessed with time, unlimited love, parents who cherish you and a spirited, joyful personality.

Know this: your father and mother will make any sacrifice, endure any struggle and travel far and wide to give you the life you deserve.

As we sang to you after your birth, “Baby Jackson, Baby Jackson. You are here, you are here. We’re so glad you’ve joined us, we’re so glad you’ve joined us. We love you. Yes we do.”

In the past 365 days, you’ve grown from a 9 pound, screaming, helpless baby into a smiling, pleasant, gentle, active, alert, curious, smart and contented little boy.

Your father and mother have grown too. We’ve become better and more well-rounded people because you blessed us with your presence.


Love,

Daddy

No comments: